3 Steps for Cleaning Smoke Damaged Electronics
Smoke and soot can affect your electronics as much as the heat of a fire can. Therefore there are several considerations before using smoke damage electronics.
Smoke can damage electronics in multiple ways:
- Corrosion: Soot and its acidic nature can cause surface, such as key components to corrode, which can shorten the product’s lifespan.
- Insulation: Soot leaves behind a black film, which can insulate parts and can cause extreme overheating of covered parts. Overheating can release toxic fumes and are known to lead electronic failures and fires.
- Magnetization: The magnetic charge of smoke can lead to the short circuit of electronics.
Use these three steps when cleaning electronics from smoke/soot damage:
Step 1 – Disconnect all electronics or remove power sources such as batteries. Do not turn them on before they are cleaned.
Step 2 – Use a soft rag to wipe down the exterior surface and remove soot marks.
Step 3 – Use air-compressor to blow out any outlets, ports and air vents.
Internal damage and soot can decrease the ability to save your electronics. If any devices show signs of corrosion or damage, consult a professional to help with the inspection. Safety first is the biggest consideration. Often electronics are covered in home insurance policies. Professional restoration and advice can help you to determine the internal damages of electronics from heat and soot, this is the time to reach out for help.