Asbestos was commonly used on certain aspects of residential construction into the 1980s. The good news is that unless asbestos-containing materials are disturbed, they don’t pose a significant threat. Unfortunately, a remodel usually requires disturbing asbestos that wouldn’t otherwise be a problem. There’s no way to tell just by looking at a material whether it contains asbestos; it needs to be tested. If the test is positive, it’s important to your family’s health to have it professionally abated.
Asbestos can be found in a wide range of materials, but some of the most common sources are:
- Wall or ceiling insulation
- Popcorn ceilings
- Pipe insulation
- Asbestos tape on old duct-work
- Flooring and flooring adhesives
- Certain types of siding
- Certain types of shingles
We can help homeowners and potential homeowners be safe and educated in these situations. Call Claudio Alvarez Construction at 541-727-7340 if:
- You’re thinking of buying an older home and first want a certified inspector to go over the house or test suspicious old paint or possible asbestos-containing substances so you’re prepared.
- You’re planning a renovation project and want to appropriately budget and plan for costs and safety needs.
- You’re already in the midst of a renovation project and discover unexpected or concerning materials you tested or abated.
Our contractors are able to work with/sub-contract to a firm certified in the specialty of lead-based paint abatement. Together we will safely remove lead paint and handle asbestos abatement so your renovation plans can become reality without risking the health of your home and family.