12 Home Security Tips Before a Vacation
Before leaving the house to head away for your well-deserved vacation, here are 12 home security tips you might consider before leaving on vacation to make sure your home is protected while your away. The following list will provide you with a routine prior to leaving guaranteed to create peace-of-mind while your away.
One Week before Departure
- Clean the fridge to remove all items, that may turn bad while you are away.
- Put a lamp on a timer near a window. This will allow the illusion of an occupied house and prevents the prolonged use of electricity and fires.
- Notify neighbors to look out for unusual people around your home and other possible house related matters. These neighbors should also be given your contact information and know how to reach you. A key can be helpful in case anyone needs entrance to the house due to an emergency.
- Notify postal series and newspaper delivery to hold back your mail while you are gone. (Mail and newspapers left in your mailbox or on the driveway are a sure sign of your absence.)
Day of Departure
- Turn off main water sully to prevent frozen pipes and continuously flowing water.
- Adjust thermostat to prevent furnace temperature to fall below 55 degrees in the winter and keep AC running in the summer to prevent a rise in the temperature above 80 degrees. Low temperatures in the wither can cause freezing pipes and higher temperatures can cause an increase in mold and mildew growth.
- Blinds facing the street should be left partially up to make it looked lived-in. All other blinds should be closed to conserve heat or maintain cold air.
- To enable a circulation throughout the house, keep all interior doors open.
- Every essential electronic appliance such as water heater, freezer or refrigerator should be set on vacation mode, if possible.
- Unplug all other electronic devices and appliance to prevent phantom power draws and power surges.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Water houseplants and empty every trash can.
By following the checklist above you are able to enjoy your vacation without anxiety about your home.