Asbestos was commonly used on certain aspects of residential construction into the 1980s. The good news is that unless asbestos-containing materials are disturbed, they don’t pose a significant threat. Unfortunately, a remodel usually requires disturbing asbestos that wouldn’t otherwise be a problem. There’s no way to tell just by looking at a material whether it contains asbestos; it needs to be tested. If the test is positive, it’s important to your family’s health to have it professionally abated.
Asbestos can be found in a wide range of materials, but some of the most common sources are:
- Wall or ceiling insulation
- Popcorn ceilings
- Pipe insulation
- Asbestos tape on old duct-work
- Flooring and flooring adhesives
- Certain types of siding
- Certain types of shingles
We can help homeowners and potential homeowners be safe and educated in these situations. Call Claudio Alvarez Construction at 541-727-7340 if:
- You’re thinking of buying an older home and first want a certified inspector to go over the house or test suspicious old paint or possible asbestos-containing substances so you’re prepared.
- You’re planning a renovation project and want to appropriately budget and plan for costs and safety needs.
- You’re already in the midst of a renovation project and discover unexpected or concerning materials you tested or abated.
Our certified contractors are able to safely remove lead paint and handle asbestos abatement so your renovation plans can become reality without risking the health of your home and family.